Fiance(e) or K1 visa allows US citizens to bring their foreign fiance(e) living abroad to United States to marry.
K2 is a visa for the unmarried minor children of the fiance(e) of a US citizen.

Who can Apply for a Fiance(e) Visa

  • US citizen petitioner
  • The US citizen petitioner and alien fiance(e) have to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e) entering the United States.
  • Petitioner and fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
  • Petitioner and fiance(e) must have met in person, at least once within 2 years of filing the petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
    1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of petitioner or fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
    2. If petitioner can prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship.

There are different steps in applying for a Fiance(e) visa:

Overview Flow Chart for Fiance(e) Visa