Removal of Conditions or ROC is the step when the conditions in your 2-year GC needs to be removed to receive the 10-year GC. At this stage, you and your spouse have been together long enough to establish a bona fide marriage.

It is important to submit proofs of a bonafide marriage, a lot of people have been getting RFEs to show that their marriage is real and genuine.

About 5 months before the 2-year GC expires, you will receive a letter from USCIS reminding you need to file for ROC. This letter may or may not arrive so do not wait for it to apply for ROC.

You can file ROC within ninety (90) days before your 2-year GC expires. You cannot submit your ROC earlier than that because USCIS will just send it back to you. Make sure USCIS receives your ROC application before your 2-year GC expires otherwise you will be subjected to deportation.

Preparing the ROC Packet:

  1. Cover Letter (SAMPLE HERE)
  2. Payment of filing fee and biometrics fee of $680.00 in check or money order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”.
  3. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (this is optional but recommended so you will receive updates on your application)
  4. Duly completed and signed Form I-751, Remove Conditions on a Green Card through Marriage (SAMPLE FORM HERE)
  5. Copy of Permanent Resident Card (front and back)
  6. Copy of Biographic Page of Passport and pages with stamps
  7. Evidences of bona fide relationship:
    • Copies of joint income tax returns and W2’s for two years that you were married. You can order your copies of tax transcripts HERE.
    • Copies of recent three (3) months statements of joint bank accounts, car insurance, household bills
    • Copies of joint ownership or lease of properties - car or house
    • Copy of health insurance cards, showing joint policy
    • Copy of airline tickets, boarding passes and hotel reservation receipts of vacations taken
    • Copy of letters and cards from family and friends addressed to both
    • Sworn affidavits of family and friends, attesting to our relationship and marriage
    • Pictures together and with family and friends

  8. Where to Send the ROC Packet:

    Applicants must file Form I-751 at the USCIS California Service Center or the USCIS Vermont Service Center, depending on where they live.

    If you live in Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, file with the California Service Center at:

    USCIS California Service Center
    P.O. Box 10751
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075

    If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, and West Virginia, file with the Vermont Service Center at:

    USCIS Vermont Service Center
    75 Lower Welden Street
    P.O. Box 200
    St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

    What To Expect After Submission of ROC:

    1. In about 2 weeks, you will receive the extension letter extending your 2-year GC for another year. You can use this letter for work or travel abroad together with your expiring/expired GC.
    2. In about a few months, you will receive your biometrics appointment.
    3. The case status can be monitored using the Receipt Number found on the biometrics appointment on the USCIS Website
    4. If the processing time takes longer than normal, you can file for an eRequest stating that the case is outside normal processing time.