Work visas are sponsored by employers. To start the petition for an employee, the employer is usually required to apply for Application for Permanent Labor Certification from the US Department of Labor (DOL).

After the labor certification has been approved by DOL, the employer files Form I-140, Immigration Petition for Alien Worker on behalf of the foreign national with the USCIS.

Visa Categories:

  1. EB-1 - Priority Workers
    • Aliens with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics
    • Outstanding professors and researchers
    • Multinational executives and managers

  2. EB-2 – Professionals With Advanced Degrees or Persons With Exceptional Ability
    • Aliens who, because of their exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business, will substantially benefit the national economy, cultural, or educational interests or welfare of the United States
    • Aliens who are members of professions holding advanced degrees or the equivalent

  3. EB-3 – Professional or Skilled Workers
    • Professionals with a baccalaureate degree
    • Aliens capable of performing skilled labor (requiring at least 2 years of training or experience) for which qualified workers are not available in the United States
    • Aliens capable of performing unskilled labor for which qualified workers are not available in the United States

  4. EB-4 – Special Immigrants
    • Religious workers
    • Panama Canal Company Employees, Canal Zone Government Employees, or U.S. Government in Canal Zone Employees
    • Certain physicians
    • Certain others